db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: spaces the final frontier
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:41:11 GMT
I agree with what Mike said. Before moving ahead on this effort, we
should make sure that we understand how to perform the following tasks:

1) Tell the code archaeology tool "svn blame" to mask out the diffs
introduced by this rototill.

2) Not make backporting more burdensome.

I am unclear on what proposition will be put to a vote. Our existing
coding conventions, such as they are, are set out by a vote which ended
on 2006-08-16 (see
http://old.nabble.com/-VOTE---Approve-coding-conventions-for-the-Derby-project-to5771191.html#a5771954).

The already approved, existing conventions state that people should
indent code using spaces, not tabs.

Will we be voting on whether to move ahead with this rototill? I don't
see a need for a vote. I trust that Kathey will not move ahead until
issues (1) and (2) have been addressed.

Will we be voting on some as yet undisclosed schedule of indentation
conventions for specific kinds of Java code blocks? I doubt that we will
agree on such a schedule.

Thanks,
-Rick