db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: spaces the final frontier
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:30:30 GMT
On 8/14/2012 10:08 AM, Katherine Marsden wrote:
> Hello  derby-dev,
>
> Are we ready to commit to space indentation for Derby as a matter of
> policy? If so I think it would be worthwhile to reformat all the code to
> use space indentation.
>
> I did some experimentation after  the initial network whitespace change
> for DERBY-5896 [1] and I think the reformat can be reasonably
> mitigated.  I think that it would be worthwhile to move to all spaces
> considering all the extra patch round trips  that we have seen over the
> years due to white space errors. All space indentation would help save
> time and confusion in that regard.
>
> I do seem to recall the last time this came up, some people (can't
> remember who) were  somewhat attached to indentation character as a
> matter of personal choice.  I think if we reformat,  we should commit to
> all spaces moving forward.    Does anyone still  feel that they have to
> have tabs or have objections to reformatting all the code to use spaces?
>
> If not I will call a vote and open an issue to reformat everything.
>
> Best
>
> Kathey
>

> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5896?focusedCommentId=13433270&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13433270

+1 to a vote

My only concern in the past has been if it would cause problems for
backporting, and I think tests have been done that if you use the right
flags with svn you can avoid the problems.  We should document what
is needed to backport cleanly and if there are workarounds to gettting
reasonable info out of svn blame.

I think the issue is also causes issues to new users both in editing
files and round trips with patches.  Anything we can do to get more
people working easier on the code the better.

I would like to just go after this single issue, not a code standard in
general.