db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Java 7 try-with-resources (AutoClosable) on Derby connections with auto-commit off
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:05:38 GMT
On 10.08.2012 18:29, dag.wanvik@oracle.com wrote:
> Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  writes:
>> Thanks for the code snippet, Kristian. I don't see this as a Derby
>> problem.
> Hmm.. IMHO I'd like a close that does what I tell it. In my mind that
> means rolling back and closing.

That's exactly what I felt after having written a simple app using
Just wanted to hear if anyone else had stumbled across this behavior and
given it any thought.

> That the current behavior doesn't play well with autoclosable is a (new)
> argument for changed behavior.

Yes, I hope this is brought up again when we're at a point where we can
change the current behavior without too much trouble.

> Dag
>> It might make sense for the JDBC spec to point out the
>> undefined AutoClosable behavior of Connection:
>> o Statements and ResultSets have well defined close() semantics and
>> can be used portably in try-with-resources blocks.
>> o But the behavior of Connection.close() is undefined. This makes it
>> hard to write portable code which declares Connections in
>> try-with-resources blocks.
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick

View raw message