db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject spaces the final frontier
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 17:08:16 GMT
Hello  derby-dev,

Are we ready to commit to space indentation for Derby as a matter of
policy? If so I think it would be worthwhile to reformat all the code to
use space indentation.

I did some experimentation after  the initial network whitespace change
for DERBY-5896 [1] and I think the reformat can be reasonably
mitigated.  I think that it would be worthwhile to move to all spaces
considering all the extra patch round trips  that we have seen over the
years due to white space errors. All space indentation would help save
time and confusion in that regard.

I do seem to recall the last time this came up, some people (can't
remember who) were  somewhat attached to indentation character as a
matter of personal choice.  I think if we reformat,  we should commit to
all spaces moving forward.    Does anyone still  feel that they have to
have tabs or have objections to reformatting all the code to use spaces?

If not I will call a vote and open an issue to reformat everything.

Best

Kathey

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5896?focusedCommentId=13433270&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13433270