db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Coverage of package impl.io
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 23:47:52 GMT
On 8/6/2012 3:57 PM, Katherine Marsden wrote:
> On 8/2/2012 6:40 AM, siddharth srivastava wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> While looking at this package, I was able to derive some reference
>> from util.corruptio package and its subsequent usage.
>> What would be a recommended approach for improving the test coverage
>> of this class.
>>
>> I have started with URLFile and DirStorageFactory, out of which
>> DirStorageFactory is already very well covered.
>> It would be helpful to get recommendations for writing tests for this
>> package.
> So looking at URLFile and URLStorageFactory these seem to be for a
> http(s) protocol connection, which sounds great but I don't
> immediately see what protocol I would use.  For example, I have a
> toursdb database at
> http://people.apache.org/~kmarsden/toursdb
>
> What URL would I use to access this?
>
> I don't see anything in the doc. I wonder if this is something that
> someone started working on but never finished?

I thought this sounded familiar.  The http sub protocol came up in this
thread.
http://old.nabble.com/Bug-with-http-sub-protocol--td31889839.html

which concluded two things.
1)  the http/https sub protocols are not documented anywhere.
2)  I can connect to my database with this odd url:

ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:https:http://people.apache.org/~kmarsden/toursdb';

The user was encouraged to open an issue but did not as far as I can
tell.  I filed an issue DERBY-5895 to fix/test/document the feature.
Subtasks can be created for each.

In terms of testing, I wondering what would be best.  Should we have
properties like we do for the ldap testing to specify the server etc or
is there an easy way to integrate a single threaded web server into the
JUnit tests?

Kathey