db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Java 7 try-with-resources (AutoClosable) on Derby connections with auto-commit off
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 22:29:53 GMT
Hello,

Has anyone considered the case of using try-with-resources (Java SE 7)
with Derby connections with auto-commit off?

I haven't studied this in detail, but from what I can see the above
configuration will cause Connection.close to throw an exception if a
transaction is active. Based on what the Java API docs say, I think
Derby is behaving in a way that's allowed [1]. Nonetheless, this may not
be what users expect.

I suppose one could work around this issue with an extra try-catch
block, where you would call rollback/commit before rethrowing the
exception, but this kind of defeats the purpose of try-with-resource.

Connection.close implements AutoClosable.close so we can't have two
different behaviors for the two [2] scenarios (try-with-resources vs
explicit close).

Have I missed something that makes this problem moot?

Regards,
--
Kristian

[1] "It is *strongly recommended* that an application explicitly commits
or rolls back an active transaction prior to calling the |close| method.
If the |close| method is called and there is an active transaction, the
results are implementation-defined."
[2] Maybe one could use stack trace inspection, but that doesn't sound
like a good solution.