db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: ij EXPECT command
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 14:40:41 GMT
On 8/1/12 3:03 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  wrote:
>> The localization audit has stumbled across a message related to the ij
>> EXPECT command. I don't understand this command so I don't know what to tell
>> the translators. The command is not otherwise documented and is a NOP unless
>> the undocumented ij.expect property is set to true. I am unable to make any
>> sense of the header comment for this command in the ij grammar:
>>
>> "Will eventually detect the lines that the strings are without special
>> literals, but for now this is expedient (except for the doubling of
>> quotes...)
>>
>> Used to test the previous statement's output. Note that ij must be in
>> "expect" mode to use this statement, otherwise it is just ignored. This is
>> due to the overhead of tracking the prior statement's output."
>>
>> The command and the ij.expect property do not appear in the documentation
>> for Cloudscape 3.5. It seems that:
>>
>> 1) The command was added after IBM acquired Cloudscape.
>>
>> 2) The command was disabled (by not being documented) at least by the time
>> that Derby was open-sourced.
>>
>> Does anyone know what this command is for and whether it is still needed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
> I checked the ancient version control records for cloudscape for
> hints...This section of ij.jj has remained untouched since it was
> first put in, in April 1998.
> (for reference, the branch for 1.5 of Cloudscape was created Sept
> 1998, the branch for 3.6 was created Oct 2000).
>
> The comment for the check-in was:
> "new ij commands: set connection, connect as, disconnect all,
> 	show connections, protocol; and property ij.protocol.
> 	prototype of expect, not yet fully implemented (always passes).
> 	new ij entry point"
>
> So looks like the expect command was never finished.
>
> Myrna

Thanks, Myrna. Based on your response, I tried out the EXPECT command on
Cloudscape 3.5. Sure enough, EXPECT is a legal ij command in Cloudscape
3.5 and it's a NOP there too.

The EXPECT production calls the noteExpect() method in ij.jj. The
noteExpect() method doesn't do anything useful as far as I can see.

There are no tests for this vacuous command. This looks like an
abandoned effort which was never exposed to users. I have filed
DERBY-5890 to remove this command.

Thanks,
-Rick