db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject ij EXPECT command
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 19:49:38 GMT
The localization audit has stumbled across a message related to the ij
EXPECT command. I don't understand this command so I don't know what to
tell the translators. The command is not otherwise documented and is a
NOP unless the undocumented ij.expect property is set to true. I am
unable to make any sense of the header comment for this command in the
ij grammar:

"Will eventually detect the lines that the strings are without special
literals, but for now this is expedient (except for the doubling of
quotes...)

Used to test the previous statement's output. Note that ij must be in
"expect" mode to use this statement, otherwise it is just ignored. This
is due to the overhead of tracking the prior statement's output."

The command and the ij.expect property do not appear in the
documentation for Cloudscape 3.5. It seems that:

1) The command was added after IBM acquired Cloudscape.

2) The command was disabled (by not being documented) at least by the
time that Derby was open-sourced.

Does anyone know what this command is for and whether it is still needed?

Thanks,
-Rick