db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: 10.8.3 and 10.9.2
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:49:43 GMT
On 7/17/12 7:40 AM, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> audit our entire message base, looking for violations of industry
>> best-practices.
>
> Localization is not my strong point, so this is a basic question: just
> hypothetically,
> what would a violation of industry best-practices in a message file
> look like?
>
> Would it be a missing or un-translated message?
>
> Would it be an incorrectly translated message?
>
> Something else entirely?
Hi Bryan,

I'm not an expert here either. One thing I think they will look for are
places where two strings are concatenated, each of which is
independently localized. That's a practice which often results in a poor
experience for non-English readers. They may also look for mistakes
using single quotes with message arguments; that can wreak havoc with
MessageFormat; however, I think we cleaned up those problems last year.
They might look for missing and bad translations too.

Thanks,
-Rick