db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Alternative code coverage report using JaCoCo
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:42:20 GMT
Kristian Waagan <kristian.waagan@oracle.com> writes:

> On 12.06.12 17:43, siddharth srivastava wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The coverage report does seem pretty simple and easy to understand.
>>
>> Comparing the jacoco [1] <
>> http://people.apache.org/~kristwaa/jacoco/org.apache.derby.iapi.jdbc/DRDAServerStarter.html>and
>> emma [2]
>> <http://dbtg.foundry.sun.com/derby/test/coverage/_files/10c.html>
>> reports for DRDAServerStarter
>
> Hmm, are the EMMA links unstable? Maybe it generates new file names
> each time the report is compiled?

Yes, the links are unstable.

It would be possible to publish the raw coverage.xml file and set up a
job on builds.apache.org to render it. I do that on my private Hudson
instance, and the EMMA plugin for Hudson does a much better job
generating reports (the reports look more like the JaCoCo reports, the
links are stable, and it generates graphs that show how the coverage
changes over time). Unfortunately, I haven't found any easy way to
export Hudson's HTML reports without having a public Hudson or Jenkins
instance.

> I'm almost sure I was taken to a different page when following [2] a
> day ago. In any case, none of the classes described were
> DRDAServerStarter :)
>
>> I was wondering if the code coverage results in jacoco are not affected
>> by the
>> Java Security Manager since security manager has been shut off by
>> default for emma's
>> code coverage results.
>
> Was there anything in particular you were thinking of?
> Note that the EMMA results should still be more complete, since it's
> being run with several JVM versions and with some additional tests.
> I'm working on improving this for JaCoCo, and we may also want to get
> a scheduled job going to get fresh numbers on a regular basis.

I think the coverage reported by EMMA might have been lower the day
Siddharth sent the message. The attached graph shows the coverage for
DRDAServerStarter since I began running the tests, and you can see that
it sometimes drops. It has been higher the last few days. Hopefully one
of the fixes we've checked in over the last week has helped, so that the
improvement is not just temporary.