db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From siddharth srivastava <akssps...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternative code coverage report using JaCoCo
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:43:40 GMT
Hi

The coverage report does seem pretty simple and easy to understand.

Comparing the jacoco [1]
<http://people.apache.org/~kristwaa/jacoco/org.apache.derby.iapi.jdbc/DRDAServerStarter.html>and
emma [2] <http://dbtg.foundry.sun.com/derby/test/coverage/_files/10c.html>reports
for DRDAServerStarter
I was wondering if the code coverage results in jacoco are not affected by
the
Java Security Manager since security manager has been shut off by default
for emma's
code coverage results.

On 12 June 2012 14:34, Kristian Waagan <kristian.waagan@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 12.06.2012 02:36, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been looking into adding support for JaCoCo [1] for Derby
>>

>> Thanks for investigating this, Kristian.
>>
>> I looked at the report you published, and I found it clear and
>> easy to read.
>>
>> Why would we choose one tool over another? Is there a reason to
>> trust the reports produced by one tool more than those produced
>> by another? Is it easier to configure or lower-overhead to operate
>> one tool versus the other?
>

> Hi Bryan,
>
> Note that we don't have to choose one of the tools - we can use both if we
> want to.
> When I started this effort we were having problems getting EMMA to produce
> results reliably. I think that issue has been resolved now (Knut made
> changes to part of our test framework).
>
> I'd say both tools are just about as easy to configure, but JaCoCo may
have
> a stronger focus on integration (currently ant, maven, Java agent).
> I don't know exactly about overhead, but my gut feeling is they're in the
> same league. I've tried other tools that affected performance a lot (i.e.
it

--
Regards
Siddharth Srivastava