db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Splitting up the fixed issues listing in the release notes
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:58:06 GMT
On 25.06.12 16:22, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> On 6/25/12 6:48 AM, Kristian Waagan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> While looking through the release notes for 10.9 it occurred to me
>> that rather many of the issues listed under "Bug Fixes" aren't of
>> particular interest for users of Derby, and that those that are of
>> interest may be somewhat hard to find in the long list.
>>
>> Do people think it makes sense to split up the list of fixed bugs into
>> several sections, for instance product fixes, docs and web site fixes
>> ,and test fixes?
>>
>> I chose the two additional categories because they stand out
>> relatively clearly. Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine some users would
>> want to skip the test issues, look at the docs issues to see if there
>> have been fixes to relevant areas, and look at the list of product
>> fixes out of curiosity or to check if there may be fixes that address
>> particular problems they are seeing with Derby.
>>
>> I've attached an example, and a diff showing the required changes to
>> the build tools. There are details to settle for a final version of
>> this functionality.
>>

>> Regards,
> Hi Kristian,
>
> This seems like a step in the right direction. It's less brittle than
> the alternative approach of adding a new JIRA field to flag which issues
> deserve to turn up in the release notes. A further refinement might be
> to exclude the issues in the Test and Website components.

Excluding issues based on the components is just as easy. As always, the
quality of the release notes will be dependent on the quality of the
data in JIRA. If these issues have no value for users it would be better
to remove them from the release notes.

In the example I defined test issues to be issues marked with the
component "Test" only. Some issues are marked with several components,
including "Test", in which case I considered them as product issues.
We may want to look at the property "Regression Test Failure" too.

> I spotted a null release id in the first sentence of the "Bug Fixes"
> section.

That's probably just an artifact caused by me messing around with the
command line version of the release notes generator.

--
Kristian