db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Code Coverage
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:44:13 GMT
On 6/10/2012 2:13 AM, Kristian Waagan wrote:
> On 10.06.2012 05:36, siddharth srivastava wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I went through the entire package org.apache.derby.iapi.jdbc.
>> The emma code coverage report, doesn't seem to have EngineStatement
>> and the related classes, AuthenticationService but as I see they are
>> already used in the unit tests. I am just wondering what may be the
>> reason behind it.
>
> Hi Siddharth,
>
> Isn't EngineStatement an interface?
> Not sure how the various code coverage tools cover interfaces, maybe
> they only record coverage for the implementing classes?
> (for interfaces they could of course only tell which methods have been
> invoked or not, in addition to recording coverage for static blocks
> and/or field initializations)

Just as a historical note, the Engine* classes were created for the
instances where Network Server needed to call into otherwise non-public
sql  interfaces of the engine and needed a consistent way to interface
to Brokered vs Embedded Connections, Statements etc.   Prior to Dan
creating these there was a lot of very messy reflection in Network
Server.  I see calls into EnginePreparedStatement but not
EngineStatement in the DRDA code.   You might want to look at the svn
history to see a more complete story. In Eclipse you can right click
team -> Show history and then right click -> Compare to navigate quickly.

Kathey