db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10.9 release
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 17:32:41 GMT
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 5/16/12 10:45 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Rick Hillegas
>> <rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> A little less than a week remains before we build the first 10.9 release
>>> candidate. At the end of this message, I summarize the status of
>>> important
>>> issues, which people had hoped we would address for 10.9.
>>>
>>> At this time, I do not see any reason to push back the 10.9 schedule and
>>> I
>>> plan to build a release candidate next Monday. Please let me know if you
>>> disagree with this decision.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Rick
>>>
>>> ------------------------ IMPORTANT ISSUES ------------------------
>>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Partial progress has been made on some of the following issues. However,
>>> some of these issues have not attracted a volunteer yet. I do not plan to
>>> hold up the release for any of this stabilization work:
>>>
>>> DERBY-4852 Instability in JMXTest.
>>> DERBY-5197 Instability in Replication tests.
>>> DERBY-5600 Instability in Replication tests.
>>> DERBY-5666 Instability in NativeAuthenticationServiceTest
>>> DERBY-5686 Instability in DriverMgrAuthenticationTest.
>>>
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> I assigned myself to DERBY-5686. I believe most of the other issues
>> are likely duplicates. I have moved the nightly tests off the machine
>> where this showed up to facilitate debugging, but this really only
>> masks the problem to the outside world.
>>
>> I am actively working on it by making/trying out changes in the test
>> classes, and Kathey Marsden is also working on this by looking at the
>> engine source code...While I hesitate to postpone the release for
>> this, it is a disconcerting issue and I would much prefer to see it
>> resolved or at least understood before the release. The concern is of
>> course that if something shows up in our nightly tests, it *could*
>> show up in production.
>
> Thanks for working on this issue, Myrna. I have read through all of the
> comments on DERBY-5686. They all seem to indicate that people think this is
> a defect in our test machinery. I don't see any speculation that there is an
> underlying product defect and the issue is not flagged as a regression. I
> see that Kathey is working on instrumenting the product to give us more
> information in debugging problems like this (see DERBY-5766). I'm happy to
> delay the release candidate by a couple days, but I would not commit to an
> unbounded delay--that would bottle up a lot of other, useful bug fixes which
> people are waiting for. How much extra time do you think you need for this
> problem?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick
>>
>> Myrna
>>
>
Hi Rick,
I've been running tests with instrumented jars but still cannot
reproduce the problem at will.
Let's not hold up the release for this...
:-(
Myrna

Mime
View raw message