db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Knut Anders Hatlen (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (DERBY-5554) NullPointerException in generated VTI code
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 08:03:41 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5554?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13280001#comment-13280001
] 

Knut Anders Hatlen commented on DERBY-5554:
-------------------------------------------

The query passes if I add an optimizer override to force the table function to be the inner
table in the join (which makes some sense, since otherwise the argument to the table function
would not have a known value):

SELECT T2.*, systabs.*, syscgs.conglomeratenumber
    FROM --DERBY-PROPERTIES joinOrder=fixed
        SYS.SYSTABLES systabs, sys.sysconglomerates syscgs,
        TABLE (SYSCS_DIAG.SPACE_TABLE(systabs.tablename)) AS T2
    WHERE systabs.tabletype = 'T' and systabs.tableid = syscgs.tableid;

If I reverse the join order, I see this error:

ij> SELECT T2.*, systabs.*, syscgs.conglomeratenumber
>    FROM --DERBY-PROPERTIES joinOrder=fixed
>        TABLE (SYSCS_DIAG.SPACE_TABLE(systabs.tablename)) AS T2, sys.sysconglomerates
syscgs, SYS.SYSTABLES systabs
>    WHERE systabs.tabletype = 'T' and systabs.tableid = syscgs.tableid; 
ERROR 42Y70: The user specified an illegal join order. This could be caused by a join column
from an inner table being passed as a parameter to an external virtual table.

The error message implies that the original query was supposed to work, I think, but the optimizer
for some reason didn't enforce the correct ordering.

Or maybe the optimizer does enforce the requirement that the table function call must be the
inner table relative to the table from which it takes its arguments, but the query only works
if the table function call is the innermost table? For example, it does accept the following
forced join order, in which systabs.tablename should be known when SPACE_TABLE is called,
but it still fails with a NullPointerException during execution:

SELECT T2.*, systabs.*, syscgs.conglomeratenumber
    FROM --DERBY-PROPERTIES joinOrder=fixed
        SYS.SYSTABLES systabs,
        TABLE (SYSCS_DIAG.SPACE_TABLE(systabs.tablename)) AS T2,
        sys.sysconglomerates syscgs
    WHERE systabs.tabletype = 'T' and systabs.tableid = syscgs.tableid;
                
> NullPointerException in generated VTI code
> ------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: DERBY-5554
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5554
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: SQL
>    Affects Versions: 10.3.1.4, 10.4.1.3, 10.5.1.1, 10.6.1.0, 10.7.1.1, 10.8.2.2
>            Reporter: Bryan Pendleton
>              Labels: derby_triage10_9
>
> With the latest 10.8.2.2 binary distribution, the following short script produces a NullPointerException:
> java -Dij.exceptionTrace=true org.apache.derby.tools.ij
> ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:brydb;create=true';
> ij> create table t1 (a int);
> ij> SELECT T2.*, systabs.*, syscgs.conglomeratenumber
>     FROM 
>         SYS.SYSTABLES systabs, sys.sysconglomerates syscgs,
>         TABLE (SYSCS_DIAG.SPACE_TABLE(systabs.tablename)) AS T2
>     WHERE systabs.tabletype = 'T' and systabs.tableid = syscgs.tableid;
> The exception trace is pasted below:
> ERROR 38000: The exception 'java.lang.NullPointerException' was thrown while evaluating
an expression.
> java.sql.SQLException: The exception 'java.lang.NullPointerException' was thrown while
evaluating an expression.
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.seeNextException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.ij.executeImmediate(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.doCatch(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.runScriptGuts(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.go(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.go(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.mainCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.main(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.tools.ij.main(Unknown Source)
> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: The exception 'java.lang.NullPointerException' was
thrown while evaluating an expression.
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown
Source)
> 	... 18 more
> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown
Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.javaException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	... 15 more
> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at org.apache.derby.exe.acf81e0010x0134x6972x0511x0000033820000.g0(Unknown Source)
> 	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> 	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
> 	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
> 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.reflect.ReflectMethod.invoke(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.VTIResultSet.openCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.JoinResultSet.openRight(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.JoinResultSet.openCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.JoinResultSet.openCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.ProjectRestrictResultSet.openCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BasicNoPutResultSetImpl.open(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.executeStmt(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
> 	... 11 more
> ERROR XJ001: Java exception: ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
> java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.javaException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.ConnectionChild.handleException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.executeStatement(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.ij.executeImmediate(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.doCatch(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.runScriptGuts(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.utilMain.go(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.go(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.mainCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.tools.ij.Main.main(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.tools.ij.main(Unknown Source)
> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Java exception: ': java.lang.NullPointerException'.
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown
Source)
> 	... 19 more
> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at org.apache.derby.exe.acf81e0010x0134x6972x0511x0000033820000.g0(Unknown Source)
> 	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> 	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
> 	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
> 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.services.reflect.ReflectMethod.invoke(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.VTIResultSet.openCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.JoinResultSet.openRight(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.JoinResultSet.openCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.JoinResultSet.openCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.ProjectRestrictResultSet.openCore(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.BasicNoPutResultSetImpl.open(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.executeStmt(Unknown Source)
> 	at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericPreparedStatement.execute(Unknown Source)
> 	... 11 more

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ContactAdministrators!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

        

Mime
View raw message