db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: involving Apache derby development
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 16:39:53 GMT
On 5/29/2012 12:47 AM, lakshman udayakantha wrote:
> folks
>   I like to involved in Apache derby development. I am familiar with
> eclipse environment. can someone point me to a tutorial on how to fix
> bugs in derby and how to commit to the development of derby.
>  thank you

Welcome Lakshman,

I usually recommend folks start by doing the Derby tutorial, just to
become familiar with the product and its capabilities.

http://db.apache.org/derby/quick_start.html

And then start from the Get Involved page:
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html
Build and test Derby trunk without any changes:
http://db.apache.org/derby/dev/derby_source.html

Also Tiago created a very good screencast for setting up  your build and
test environment with eclipse.

http://www.vimeo.com/5376690

I think some of the pages are quite dated, so as you go through the
process, it would be great if you could make notes on improvements from
the new developer perspective and  then one of your first patches could
be to update the web pages. You can update the wiki pages directly
without a patch.

In Jira there are issues that are marked "Newcomer" which are great
first tasks.  Please let us know if you would like assistance picking a
first task given your particular interest.

Again Welcome!

Kathey