db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: 10.9 release
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 20:25:54 GMT
On 5/16/12 10:45 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Rick Hillegas
> <rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  wrote:
>> A little less than a week remains before we build the first 10.9 release
>> candidate. At the end of this message, I summarize the status of important
>> issues, which people had hoped we would address for 10.9.
>>
>> At this time, I do not see any reason to push back the 10.9 schedule and I
>> plan to build a release candidate next Monday. Please let me know if you
>> disagree with this decision.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>
>> ------------------------ IMPORTANT ISSUES ------------------------
>>
> [...]
>> Partial progress has been made on some of the following issues. However,
>> some of these issues have not attracted a volunteer yet. I do not plan to
>> hold up the release for any of this stabilization work:
>>
>> DERBY-4852 Instability in JMXTest.
>> DERBY-5197 Instability in Replication tests.
>> DERBY-5600 Instability in Replication tests.
>> DERBY-5666 Instability in NativeAuthenticationServiceTest
>> DERBY-5686 Instability in DriverMgrAuthenticationTest.
>>
>>
> [...]
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> I assigned myself to DERBY-5686. I believe most of the other issues
> are likely duplicates. I have moved the nightly tests off the machine
> where this showed up to facilitate debugging, but this really only
> masks the problem to the outside world.
>
> I am actively working on it by making/trying out changes in the test
> classes, and Kathey Marsden is also working on this by looking at the
> engine source code...While I hesitate to postpone the release for
> this, it is a disconcerting issue and I would much prefer to see it
> resolved or at least understood before the release. The concern is of
> course that if something shows up in our nightly tests, it *could*
> show up in production.
Thanks for working on this issue, Myrna. I have read through all of the 
comments on DERBY-5686. They all seem to indicate that people think this 
is a defect in our test machinery. I don't see any speculation that 
there is an underlying product defect and the issue is not flagged as a 
regression. I see that Kathey is working on instrumenting the product to 
give us more information in debugging problems like this (see 
DERBY-5766). I'm happy to delay the release candidate by a couple days, 
but I would not commit to an unbounded delay--that would bottle up a lot 
of other, useful bug fixes which people are waiting for. How much extra 
time do you think you need for this problem?

Thanks,
-Rick
> Myrna
>


Mime
View raw message