db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject DatabaseMetaDataTest as part of the upgrade tests
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 14:24:23 GMT
Hi,

While writing a test for new functionality in the istat daemon I
stumbled across a problem with the DatabaseMetaDataTest (DMDT), which is
being run as part of the upgrade tests.

The problem is that my new test causes entries to be added to various
system tables, for instance SYSFOREIGNKEYS. These rows interfere with
the metadata tests, causing failures. These rows have to exist during
several of the upgrade phases, including those where DMDT is being run.
I'm assuming disabling DMDT isn't an option.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to fix this problem?

In my opinion, a fix should be done to DMDT to avoid that other tests
have to care about what DMDT does.
I've tried to change DMDT to operate on its own schema, and that works.
However, I may have altered some of the metadata searches doing that,
and it required a fair amount of changes to the test (see the attached
patch).

Thanks,
--
Kristian