db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Casing of USERNAME arguments in the new NATIVE procedures
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 18:24:12 GMT
Thanks for the experiments and discussion, Knut and Dag. I have attached
a patch to DERBY-5762 which may give you the casing behavior you expect.
I would appreciate your feedback on the patch. The patch makes the
NATIVE procedures normalize the USERNAME argument before using it to key
into SYSUSERS. The patch has the following behavior:

1) It preserves the existing NATIVE behavior that allows only one set of
credentials for a given authorization id. As Knut notes, this diverges
from the behavior of the other authentication schemes, which allow you
to declare many sets of credentials for a given authorization id. I
regard that as a serious security defect in those other schemes.

2) The patch lets you use the same user name string on your connection
attempts and on your calls to the NATIVE procedures.

Thanks,
-Rick