db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: puzzling command options for SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE()
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 15:37:58 GMT
Thanks, Mike. I think this will help me narrow in on the bug. One
comment inline...

On 5/1/12 8:29 AM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
> On 5/1/2012 7:22 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> According to the Derby Reference Guide,
>> SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE() is supposed to return file
>> space to the operating system if you invoke it with the trailing
>> TRUNCATE_END argument set to 1. I am puzzled by the behavior I am
>> seeing.
>>
>> I am looking at the repro for DERBY-5234. The heap conglomerate of a
>> (soon to be) large table starts out as 8192 bytes long. Over time, the
>> heap conglomerate grows to be 42672128 bytes long. Then all of the rows
>> are deleted from the table and it is compressed with the following call:
>>
>> CALL SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE( 'APP', 'OPERATIONS', 0, 0,
>> 1 )
>>
>> The heap conglomerate shrinks a little, down to 41857024. The Reference
>> Guide suggests that this way of invoking SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE()
>> might not actually do much. Here's what the Reference Guide says: "To
>> return the empty free space at the end of the same table, the following
>> call will run much quicker than running all options but will likely
>> return much less space." In this situation, that's an understatement. In
>> this situation, the meaning of the call seems to be "Run fast but don't
>> do what I want."
>>
>> How is the user supposed to figure out which compression options should
>> be turned on? Should we recommend that all options should always be
>> turned on? Why would anyone want to run fast but not achieve much?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>
> This seems like a bug to me, for the case of deleting all rows.  Is
> there any timing issue between the time the deletes happen and when
> you execute the inplace compress, could it be the case that background
> work to reclaim space just has not had time to do its job?
Maybe, if there is some race condition. 199 pages are actually truncated
from the file by the inplace compress. The size of the file remains
constant after that, as the table fills up again. This takes a couple
minutes. I would expect that the background worker would be able to get
in sometime during that period.

Thanks,
-Rick