On 4/4/2012 6:24 AM, Tiago Espinha wrote:
Finally, here's a heads-up to all the students who would like to apply to this project: the application deadline is on April 6th, meaning you should get your project proposals submitted before then.

Be sure to submit an abstract, a description of the tests you're willing to take on and a schedule for the conclusion of the tests. It is also important to mention whether you have successfully set up the Derby environment and whether you managed to compile Derby. I would also appreciate if the applicants send me (off-list, directly to my e-mail address) the jars resulting from their compilation. To strengthen your application I also recommend serious applicants to come to  our IRC channel (#derby @ irc.freenode.net) for an informal and quick interview.

If you have developed for Derby before and/or created unit tests, please mention this in your application.

I am not sure if the process is exactly the same this year.  But here is the scoring criteria for past years.  Some things you might not think of like the interview or indicating how much time you can  dedicate count for a lot.  So I suggest you review the scored items and make sure you are covered.
http://community.apache.org/mentee-ranking-process.html