db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From siddharth srivastava <akssps...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC 2012 Proposal
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2012 03:42:06 GMT
Hi

>  I would like to hear your thoughts on how, given a specific method for
> which you plan to improve coverage, how would you go about identifying a
> functional test case which will cover the method.  This will of course be
> the tricky bit of all of this.

For determining a functional test case for a method, first it needs to
determined what the method is supposed to do (from documentation related to
the class). Then it needs to be analyzed what flow of code exercise this
method.Then I would write a prototype code to test what the method does
when actually executed. (Probably some bugs may be determined from here as
well)
Once this is determined,next step would be to look at the expected input
and output for the method and write a test case for the scenario in which
the method is invoked (something like a black box to test if things work
for expected input ot not).
Next, within the method, there may be many controls flows which also need
to be exercised depending upon the input parameters and the way from which
the method has been invoked. Test case would then be added to exercise
these cases as well.
Also, negative tests also needs to be performed and write test cases for it
since testing also requires if things fail when they are supposed to fail.

Regards
Siddharth Srivastava