db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinha.net>
Subject Re: GSoC 2012 - To potential student applicants on the list
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 12:48:12 GMT
Hi all,

Here's a thank you for all the students who applied for the GSoC project
aiming to improve Derby's code coverage.

We have received serious applications which we will now rank and based on
this rank, determine which students get their project approved.

Apologies for not coming back to all of you in a timely manner but I was
away from my computer since last Friday.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Mohamed Nufail <nufail56@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kathey,
> I have come up with an initial version of my proposal. It is available at
> [1]. I would be glad if you could go through it and provide suggestions for
> improving it.
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GdLGvkWvPhDyuw2vDBKOR1B1oZH3Y_R_fJADBlPuiGE/edit
> Thanks.
> Nufail
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Katherine Marsden <
> kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>  On 4/4/2012 6:24 AM, Tiago Espinha wrote:
>> Finally, here's a heads-up to all the students who would like to apply to
>> this project: the application deadline is on April 6th, meaning you should
>> get your project proposals submitted before then.
>>  Be sure to submit an abstract, a description of the tests you're
>> willing to take on and a schedule for the conclusion of the tests. It is
>> also important to mention whether you have successfully set up the Derby
>> environment and whether you managed to compile Derby. I would also
>> appreciate if the applicants send me (off-list, directly to my e-mail
>> address) the jars resulting from their compilation. To strengthen your
>> application I also recommend serious applicants to come to  our IRC channel
>> (#derby @ irc.freenode.net) for an informal and quick interview.
>>  If you have developed for Derby before and/or created unit tests,
>> please mention this in your application.
>>  I am not sure if the process is exactly the same this year.  But here
>> is the scoring criteria for past years.  Some things you might not think of
>> like the interview or indicating how much time you can  dedicate count for
>> a lot.  So I suggest you review the scored items and make sure you are
>> covered.
>> http://community.apache.org/mentee-ranking-process.html
> --
> Mohamed Nufail
> Undergraduate,
> Department of Computer Science & Engineering,
> University of Moratuwa.
> Blog: http://www.nufailm.blogspot.com/

View raw message