db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinha.net>
Subject Re: GSoC 2012 - To potential student applicants on the list
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 13:24:30 GMT
Hi Nufail,

Typically the unit tests will have the same name as the class they're
testing with the "-Test" suffix appended at the end. By searching the whole
source tree (i.e. find . -name "NameOfClassTest.java" or find . -name
"*Test.java" to be more generic) you should be able to find all the unit
tests.

Also, if there's no unit test, one should be created per class where each
method is tested. Sure, currently some methods are already being tested
through other tests that make use of more than one class but ideally, each
*unit* test should focus only on the class it is testing.

Finally, here's a heads-up to all the students who would like to apply to
this project: the application deadline is on April 6th, meaning you should
get your project proposals submitted before then.

Be sure to submit an abstract, a description of the tests you're willing to
take on and a schedule for the conclusion of the tests. It is also
important to mention whether you have successfully set up the Derby
environment and whether you managed to compile Derby. I would also
appreciate if the applicants send me (off-list, directly to my e-mail
address) the jars resulting from their compilation. To strengthen your
application I also recommend serious applicants to come to  our IRC channel
(#derby @ irc.freenode.net) for an informal and quick interview.

If you have developed for Derby before and/or created unit tests, please
mention this in your application.

Regards,
Tiago