db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Emma report generation fails
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2012 01:46:02 GMT
> able to instrument the jar files and run the test cases. But the report
> generation fails with the following error:
>
> java.io.UTFDataFormatException: malformed input around byte 52
>          at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(Unknown Source)
>          at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(Unknown Source)
>          at com.vladium.emma.data.ClassDescriptor.readExternal(ClassDescriptor.ja
>
> I see that Knut also faced this error earlier,
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.db.derby.devel/93262

I don't know what's wrong, sorry.

Here's a couple possibilities that we could try to rule out:

1) Perhaps you are running the tests with SANE jars but then running
the code coverage reports with INSANE jars (or vice versa)?

2) Perhaps some of the tests run with JDK 1.4, some with JDK 1.5, some with
JDK 1.6, and that usage of differing JDKs in the test runs is confusing the
EMMA classfile reader?

3) Perhaps there is a resource problem, like EMMA is running out of
memory during the analysis, and this is just a misleading way of reporting
the out-of-resources problem

4) Perhaps the captured coverage information from the test runs got
damaged during the run, like maybe a test crashed while running and
so it corrupted the coverage database, or the disk filled up while the
test was running and corrupted the coverage database?

One thing to try might be to run a smaller set of tests. Rather than
running ALL the test suites, which is a LOT of tests, start by verifying
that you can just run a small test suite with EMMA coverage enabled,
and we can work the kinks out of the process in a smaller setting.

thanks,

bryan