db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: 10.9 release
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:29:11 GMT
On 4/11/2012 9:16 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I am volunteering to manage a 10.9.1 feature release. Please let me
> know if you are comfortable with the plan posted here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenNineOneRelease The plan calls
> for a first release candidate on May 21 and GA on June 20.
Since the number of upgrade/downgrade  trajectories and  mixed client
server versions increases dramatically with each new version, along with
more builds and tests with multiple jdk  versions and platforms to
track. I would think maybe a bug fix drive followed by a 10.8.3 release
and then a 10.9 late in the year with more than the short list of
features we have on the 10.9 list would be good.

Are there pressing needs that necessitate a 10.9 vs a 10.8.3 right
away?  I believe  release early, release often is good, but because of
the explosive nature of maintenance with each new major release, I think
it might be good to do one more 10.8 release before 10.9.

Just my opinion.

Kathey