db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC 2012 Proposal
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 03:05:22 GMT
On 04/06/2012 09:43 AM, siddharth srivastava wrote:
> Hi
> Following is my proposal for GSoC 2012 for improving code coverage in Derby.
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_-ANrTY0wyU9o6bhu5aAQTGZPL1w3llMWH1TdMPkPeU/edit

Hello Siddharth,

I have been reading your proposal and I think it is quite good. I am pleased to
see that you have been continuing to work with Derby and are interested in
learning more about it.

I think that those code packages are good ones to focus on.

I suspect that it will be quite interesting and challenging to improve
the code coverage in some of these areas, since we will have to uncover
new ways to exercise Derby and cause it to take code paths that are not
currently well-explored.

It could be that it is hard to achieve 100% coverage, but even a moderate
improvement over our current code coverage levels will enhance the quality
of the system and, I am sure, uncover interesting new bugs to be logged and fixed.

Did you get the code coverage numbers in your proposal by running the test
suites yourself? Or were you reading the code coverage numbers published
by one of the automated test runs on the Derby web site?

If you were using numbers published on the web site, have you tried to
run the tests with code coverage instrumentation yourself? I am interested
to know how closely the coverage numbers that you observe in your test runs
match the onces published at the Derby web site.

I hope your proposal is accepted by Google, and I hope that other members of
the community will also offer their suggestions about additional improvements
you could make to your proposal.

View raw message