db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Rick Hillegas (Updated) (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Updated] (DERBY-5471) Stress test for identity columns and sequence seem to be taking longer on trunk compared to RC3
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:58:17 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5471?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

Rick Hillegas updated DERBY-5471:

    Attachment: 5471-performance.html

Attaching 5471-performance.html, a report on concurrency tests I ran on a 32-cpu machine,
using Java 7 with the write-cache disabled. I ran the tests with 3 codelines:, current
trunk, and trunk plus the derby-5493-01-ae-simplerApproachWithCrashJUnitTest.diff patch.

For identity columns, the results are simple: throughput stays constant regardless of the

For sequences, the results are more complicated:

o Throughput goes up in the current trunk, presumably because the default pre-allocation size
is 20 on the trunk, vs. 5 in

o However, throughput drops significantly with the 5493 patch.

o By boosting the pre-allocation size to 100, throughput again goes above levels.

I will see if I can adjust the patch to get better throughput numbers for sequences. I expect
that I will discuss those experiments on derby-5493.

> Stress test for identity columns and sequence seem to be taking longer on trunk compared
to RC3
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: DERBY-5471
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5471
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Task
>          Components: Test
>    Affects Versions:
>         Environment: Windows XP version 2.18
> Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2600 dual core @2.16GHz 2.00GB of RAM 
> $ java -version
> java version "1.6.0"
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pwi3260sr9fp1-20110208_03(SR9 FP1))
> IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Windows XP x86-32 jvmwi3260sr9-201102
> 03_74623 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
> J9VM - 20110203_074623
> JIT  - r9_20101028_17488ifx3
> GC   - 20101027_AA)
> JCL  - 20110203_01
>            Reporter: Mamta A. Satoor
>         Attachments: 5471-performance.html
> I have been trying to run org.apache.derbyTesting.perf.clients.Runner (which provides
ways to stress test sequence generator and identity columns) on trunk and RC3 to
compare the performance and I find that it takes almost double the time for the tests to finish
on trunk. Additionally, the identity column test consistently ran into lock timeouts on trunk.
I am running with insane jars on trunk and RC3. The test in question is not in official
jars for the release candidate so I manually copied them to RC3 environment during
my test(basically copied the entire org.apache.derbyTesting.perf.clients.Runner directory
from trunk to RC3 environment).
> Command to do sequence stress testing is as follows
> java org.apache.derbyTesting.perf.clients.Runner -driver org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
-init -load seq_gen -load_opts debugging=1,numberOfGenerators=5,tablesPerGenerator=10,insertsPerTransaction=100,identityTest=0
-gen b2b -threads 10
> Command to do identity column stress testing is as follows
> time java org.apache.derbyTesting.perf.clients.Runner -driver org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
-init -load seq_gen -load_opts debugging=1,numberOfGenerators=5,tablesPerGenerator=10,insertsPerTransaction=100,identityTest=1
-gen b2b -threads 10
> An average run on RC3 for sequence stress test is about a minute and 46 secs.
On trunk, on an average it takes 2 and half minutes
> An average run on RC3 for identity stress test is about a minute and 50 secs.
On trunk, on an average it takes 3minsutes and 30 secs. Also, on trunk, this test runs into
lock timeouts.
> I was wondering if this is the right behavior. The performance should be better in trunk
because of pre-allocation of range for sequences and identity columns(which defaults to 20)
but unless I have missed something in my tests, the results don't show the performance improvement.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ContactAdministrators!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira


View raw message