db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>
Subject GSoC 2012 Ideas
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:01:43 GMT
Dear all,

Tomorrow the list of accepted organizations for Google Summer of Code 2012
will be published and it's quite safe to say that ASF will, once again, be
a part of that list.

With that said, I would like to volunteer as a mentor for this edition of
GSoC. I've been in touch with Kathey who offered to back me up with the
mentoring and whilst we have some ideas, we thought it would be a good idea
to start a discussion on the list as to which tasks would make a good GSoC
project.

So far we've thought of:
- Rehashing the test and fix project, continuing the migration to JUnit

- Cleanup of the DRDA package (see DERBY-1400), adding Javadocs,
package.html and cleaning up the whole tabs/spaces mess. This would also
include filing JIRA issues for improvements, test cases, etc.

- Running a code coverage tool on Derby (i.e. EclEmma) and writing tests to
raise such code coverage on a particular package.

If you have more ideas of things that could be improved, feel free to chip
in! From past experience we feel that having students implementing new
features might not be the best solution, especially students who are just
getting started with Derby. For this reason projects with softer learning
curves are more desirable.

Regards,
Tiago