db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Question on whether to use multiple databases/multiple network servers or not
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:41:45 GMT
An update, it turns out that so far the performance problem is not with Derby but with the
queries that JPA is generating.  I am still going to finish separating out the performance
from the provisioning and see if there is any performance gains to be had and will report
back then.

I just wanted to not let this hang around with the implication that Derby is not performing
when in fact it is the application that is not performing.  You know how these emails are
archived and live forever ;)

Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: Bergquist, Brett [mailto:BBergquist@canoga.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:12 PM
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: RE: Question on whether to use multiple databases/multiple network servers or not

Thanks for the response Mike.

The JVM is Java 1.6.0

Currently configured, there are 16 worker threads that are processing performance data from
the network devices.  These threads are not busy waiting for data but rather are pooled and
dispatched when there is processing to perform.  Playing around with the number of processing
threads led to 16 being a good number for the current architecture.  I do realize that possibly
batching the updates to the disk and maybe using one thread to perform the database insertions
might be better but there is a wrinkle in that before the software can respond to the network
device that it has received the data, it must be ensured that the data is written to stable
storage.   So batching up the inserts does provide some problems.

A separate thread pool managed by the application server is used to process HTTP requests
which in turn hit EJB's that perform the provisioning processing.  This thread pool is configured
for 128 threads right now, but from monitoring I have not seen more than 20 in use at one
instant.  The request processing is synchronous.

The provisioning requests use completely separate tables that the performance data.  Only
some custom reports actually do some cross table queries and these are only run once in a
great while.   So there should not be any provisioning/performance data table contention.

The database is stored on 2 300Gb small form factor serial drives on a ZFS pool that are mirrored.
 Right now the log is on the same disk.  So moving the log to a separate ZFS pool on the other
two mirrored drives is possible and I will investigate that.

There are query/update/delete operations being done by the provisioning requests.   Basically
read the current data, apply changes, and update is usually the processing.

The performance data does two indexed lookups and one insert per performance data record.
 The indexed lookups are in totally separate tables from the provisioning data.   I have implemented
a poor man's partitioning by having a table per week of the year for the performance data
and purging of data is done once a week by truncating the tables (where the data is no longer
needed).  This is working great in not trying to insert and delete from the same table.

I am in the process of trying to separate the provisioning and performance into two separate
databases.  This looks to be pretty straight forward and with surprisingly just a few changes.
  Simulating this environment is a little more challenging as there are about 45K network
devices being managed with about 1600 providing the performance data.   So the provisioning
portion of the database has records for about 45K devices times multiple copies of the this
configuration data (backup data to go to a previous know state).   Having available 45K real
devices is not possible so simulation firmware is run on the devices to make 1 device look
like 1000.   Similarly, having 1600 real devices providing data is done through hardware that
simulates multiple devices.

Over the next couple of days I should be able to get this up and running in a test environment.