db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject Question on whether to use multiple databases/multiple network servers or not
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:51:03 GMT
We have a system in production that has the following characteristics:

*         Provisioning data for various network devices.  There is a large number of tables
and rows for each device by the data changes infrequently but changes have to be responsive
as this data is accessed by a human with a user interface

*         Performance data that is being inserted into the database at about 6.5M records
per day.  Queries are also done on this data for 15 minute intervals and also every 4 hours.
 The inserts are non-stop and the queries are periodic.  The inserts need to be responsive
as this data is being generated by network devices and needs to keep up.

*         There is one database that contains both kinds of data.

We are running into a performance problem particularly with provisioning data.   Without the
performance data being inserted, the provisioning changes are performing okay but these are
affected a great deal when the performance data is being inserted at such a high rate.

There are enough connections to the database engine.

The system is an Oracle M5000 with 32 processors and 32Gb of memory.    Looking at CPU utilization
and the system is about 10% utilized.    It appears that the system is not I/O bound as of
yet.

I was wondering if it would make sense to separate out the performance data into its own database
and potentially its own JVM though a second Network Service running.    This will lead to
some complexities when trying to correlate the performance data back with the provisioning
data when needed (now to separate databases).    I was wondering if there is any thoughts
on if this might help separate any contention in the single database that might exist and
allow better performance for the provisioning information.

I almost would like it to be that the provisioning database access have higher priority than
the performance data since it is infrequent but needs to be responsive.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Brett