db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Had Derby 10.8.2.2 fail today and need some thoughts
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 18:21:34 GMT
Digging through the code, I do see that DRDAConnetionThread can restart the NetworkServer if
it sees a shutdown exception:

	private void writeSQLCARD(SQLException e,int severity,
		int updateCount, long rowCount ) throws DRDAProtocolException
	{
		writer.createDssObject();
		writer.startDdm(CodePoint.SQLCARD);
		writeSQLCAGRP(e, getSqlCode(severity), updateCount, rowCount);
		writer.endDdmAndDss();

		// If we have a shutdown exception, restart the server.
		if (e != null) {
			String sqlState = e.getSQLState();
			if (sqlState.regionMatches(0,
			  SQLState.CLOUDSCAPE_SYSTEM_SHUTDOWN, 0, 5)) {
			// then we're here because of a shutdown exception;
			// "clean up" by restarting the server.
				try {
					server.startNetworkServer();
				} catch (Exception restart)
				// any error messages should have already been printed,
				// so we ignore this exception here.
				{}
			}
		}

	}

So this would explain how the process was still alive even though the derby.log said the Derby
engine was shutting down.  I am still trying to find out how the derby.log got replaced and
recreated with this message being the first one within when the derby.properties is setup
to have derby.log always appended to.  I am having trouble following the code to where this
might happen.

I looked at how could a shutdown be triggered and I found that:

SystemContext.cleanupOnError can cause a system shutdown if the exception has severity >=
ExceptionSeverity.SYSTEM_SEVERITY.  Right before the shutdown, it appears a message is logged
to derby.log that would indicate the error.   But alas, the derby.log is being recreated for
some reason.  I am struggling to find out where or why.

Maybe someone can point me to the right area in the code to look at?

Brett