db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC 2012 Ideas
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:52:04 GMT
> list as to which tasks would make a good GSoC project.

Hi Tiago,

I think these are great ideas and I'm very happy that you're going to
continue mentoring. Thanks!

I agree with you and Kathey that it is hard to implement a substantial
new feature in the compressed GSoC timeframe. I have tried this with
some very motivated students, with limited success, but it is quite
challenging.

The downside to projects like the test-and-fix project is that they
aren't really exciting for the students; I've had students comment
that, while they learned a lot about the open source process, and met
lots of great people in the Derby community, they didn't really improve
their programming knowledge very much.

Still, I've been quite pleased with the results of my experiences mentoring
students through the test-and-fix process for a summer, and I think it's
a very appropriate internship opportunity, and I hope we continue to offer it.

Another idea I thought of for your list was something related to performance:
building benchmarks, running existing benchmarks, establishing some
infrastructure for gathering and publishing known results, etc.

thanks,

bryan