db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Quetion on out memory usage
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:00:27 GMT
"I am having trouble finding the thread, so perhaps I dreamed all this"

I have days like that :)

Thanks for your help.

Brett

From: Katherine Marsden [mailto:kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:06 PM
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Quetion on out memory usage

On 2/15/2012 9:41 AM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:
Thanks for the reply Kathrine.   So in theory however if Derby's estimate works correctly,
the sorting should spill to disk and there should be no OOM errors, right?

I was looking for the thread about this but can't find it just now and apologize for being
so vague. Perhaps though this will jog someone else's memory.

 As I recall, the scenario that was causing trouble was one where to start out with there
was enough memory for the sort  and then during processing other things consumed memory meaning
there no longer was room. Having chosen to go down this path there was no turning back and
Derby would run out of memory on the query.  As to whether it "should"  spill to disk in that
case I don't know, I think the determination was  at least that no one knew how to do do it.
  Again, I am having trouble finding the thread, so perhaps I dreamed all this....

Kathey