db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Quetion on out memory usage
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:05:31 GMT
On 2/15/2012 9:41 AM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Kathrine.   So in theory however if Derby's
> estimate works correctly, the sorting should spill to disk and there
> should be no OOM errors, right?

I was looking for the thread about this but can't find it just now and
apologize for being so vague. Perhaps though this will jog someone
else's memory.

  As I recall, the scenario that was causing trouble was one where to
start out with there was enough memory for the sort  and then during
processing other things consumed memory meaning there no longer was
room. Having chosen to go down this path there was no turning back and
Derby would run out of memory on the query.  As to whether it "should"
spill to disk in that case I don't know, I think the determination was
at least that no one knew how to do do it.   Again, I am having trouble
finding the thread, so perhaps I dreamed all this....

Kathey