db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Too many files open after upgrading to 10.8
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 11:13:21 GMT
On 31.01.2012 19:36, Katherine Marsden wrote:
> I have few details yet, but have a report from a user upgrading from
> 10.5 to 10.8 who is reporting occurrences of  IOException too many
> open files on both linux and windows in their test suite after the
> upgrade.  The actual error is not usually in the Derby code but  it
> may be that Derby is hogging too many files causing this failure later
> in their code.
>
> They can reproduce the problem in a 15 minute test.  Is there a
> generic java or operating system way to trace the opening and closing
> of files?  If not, what would be the best place  to add tracing to Derby?

Hi Kathey,

I once tried to add tracing to Derby (using dynamic byte code
instrumentation) for this, but found it somewhat hard to get it working
well enough. At this stage, I'd go for operating system tools, for
instance 'lsof' on Linux and the resource manager available on Windows
(depends on Windows version).

Would also be helpful to know the limit they're hitting (i.e. ulimit -n).

Regards,
--
Kristian