I have attached patches to the issues:

The patches were created against the trunk but have also been applied against the 10.8.2.2 release for our testing.

The changes in these patches have been run in our System Integration Testing lab since 12/29/2011 continuously with no failures.  Our SIT Lab setup mimics our production setup where these issues were found and would readily have problems in an hour or less without these changes.  If these could be reviewed and incorporated into Derby or alternative fixes or suggestions be make, it will be much appreciated.

Brett