db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Copyright clairification for fo2html.xsl in Derby software.
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:11:56 GMT
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 1/9/12 4:36 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Andrew McIntyre<mcintyre.a@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> Hi Jean,
>>>
>>> We had been using this file to generate single-page HTML documentation
>>> for test and review during the DITA conversion since before the docs
>>> were contributed to Apache. I checked it in when I was moving the doc
>>> build machinery into Subversion. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't
>>> have checked it in, but when someone went to modify it is when we had
>>> the original discussion. There should at least be an entry for it in
>>> the doc-src NOTICES. I can remove the file if it's a problem though,
>>> as the file could be downloaded directly to the release builder's
>>> machine by Ant. Also, there are other, free options for converting
>>> PDFs to HTML files.
>>>
>>> - andrew
>>
>> I think we should probably get rid of this file, and we should really
>> avoid using it altogether. Is there anyone who has the skill to
>> replace this file?
>>
>> Myrna
>>
> I ran a quick experiment: I removed fo2html.xsl and verified that I could
> build the frames html docs. Here are some solutions listed in declining
> order of effort:
>
> 1) Remove fo2html.xsl.
>
> + Easy.
> - We will lose the no-frames version of the html docs. I do use the
> no-frames version when citing doc passages in posts to derby-user. That is
> my only use for the no-frames version. Passage citations would be a little
> more cumbersome, but I could live with that.
>
> 2) Track down Nikolai Grigoriev and get him to open source this file under
> Apache 2.0.
>
> + Preserves the no-frames version of the docs.
> + Relatively low effort on our part.
> - Unbounded problem. We're not certain that we can track him down or that he
> would agree to use the Apache 2.0 license.
>
> 3) Replace fo2html.xsl with an xsl transformation which we write ourselves.
>
> + Preserves the no-frames version of the docs.
> - Probably outside the current skill sets of our current contributors.
>
> 4) Convert the docs to another source format.
>
> + Would be an opportunity to address our dissatisfactions with DITA,
> including its accessibility problems and our inability to generate a doc
> - Big effort.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

Quick question/comment re 2): Nikolai Grigoriev is listed as author
but isn't the copyright by renderX? Daniel Dobbins said he tried to
contact the author without result, perhaps he didn't try the
company...But - I am not a lawyer.
I prefer option 4 but have no time/skill, so for short term 1.

Myrna