db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject Can anyone help with predicting how long/how big a transaction log will be when updating 10 Million records
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 13:57:20 GMT
I have a database upgrade that is currently running at a customer site.  Little did I know
that their database table has between 10 and 11 million records.   The upgrade is a updating
one column with a fixed value.

It is doing  UPDATE WEEK_TABLE SET WEEK = 2

The column is a small integer.   Right now there are 1400 transaction log files and growing
and it has been going for over an hour.   I was wondering if there is any idea that I could
get on how many transaction log files will be needed or an idea on how long the update might
take.  I know this all depends on the hardware, the size of the rows, etc., but I am just
trying get some feel on how long this might take.

Anything at all will be helpful and much appreciated.

Brett