db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: One more comment on the "Building Derby" document
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:11:49 GMT
Thanks for keeping our build documentation up to date, Bryan. Some
comments inline...

On 1/28/12 9:08 AM, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> In http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/db/derby/code/trunk/BUILDING.html
> shouldn't the section on "Testing Derby" be changed?
>
> It currently reads:
>
> If you want to build and run the Derby tests, make sure that you have
> downloaded the JUnit test framework. Then build all of the Derby
> sources, including the test classes:
>
> Target 	Description 	Command
>
> all 	This target compiles all Derby source files.
>

>      ant -quiet all
>
> Putting all of this together, here's how you build the tests:
>

>      ant -quiet clobber
>      ant -quiet all
>      ant -quiet buildjars
>
> To run the tests, consult the testing README.
>
> =============
>
> It seems like this should instead say:
>
> If you want to build and run the Derby tests, you must build all of
> the Derby sources, including the test classes:
>
>      ant -quiet all
I agree that we can remove the bit about downloading JUnit. I think that
the one build line above will just build the classes, not the jar files.
I think we should encourage people to build the jar files since that is
what they will deploy. Also, the abbreviated instructions won't
initialize your build environment in case you changed debug/sanity
settings. If the point is to give new developers something simple, maybe
we should add a new build target which does all 3 steps.
> Then, to run the tests, do:
>
>      ant junitreport
Of course, this will just run the JUnit tests. That's a pretty good
start and, frankly, it's been a long time since one of the old-style
tests popped an error for me. It's certainly a gentler introduction to
Derby testing than exposing people to the old-style tests up front.

Thanks,
-Rick