db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Copyright clairification for fo2html.xsl in Derby software.
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 13:46:26 GMT
On 1/18/12 2:07 PM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:

>>> Right, you noticed this and Knut noticed this. In the meantime, I
>>> noticed it too and I have started an email conversation with RenderX
>>> about the possibility of their licensing the file under Apache 2.0.
>>> Stay tuned...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Rick
>>>
>> The CEO at RenderX has responded:
>>
>> "I'm sorry, but after careful consideration, I have failed to find
>> enough
>> benefits to us to grant this permission based on the your email below.
>> If you believe that it's worth your time, then we can discuss this
>> real time
>> - Skype or phone."
>>
> Option 1 seems like safest approach at this time.  What would we have to
> do with existing derby releases?
We could pull fo2html.xsl and the single-html docs from all
distributions on our download page. This might require pulling the
releases off the website and calling a vote on replacements for the
releases which we think users care about.

I don't know if it is possible to remove the questionable distributions
from the Apache archives.

We might want to consult legal-discuss before putting a lot of effort
into this.

Those are my thoughts. Other opinions?

> We should log a JIRA at least for option 3.  As mentioned I don't think
> current committers have the skill set for this, but maybe we could get
> someone later.  I have no idea what the effort might be, maybe it is
> a google summer of code project?
I can see two JIRAs coming out of this discussion:

i) A JIRA for option (1)

ii) A JIRA for a replacement technology. The lowest effort replacements
discussed so far seem to be option (3) and the DITA chunking which
Kristian mentioned in a recent post.

Thanks,
-Rick