db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <kristian.waa...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Copyright clairification for fo2html.xsl in Derby software.
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 10:37:33 GMT
On 10.01.2012 14:46, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> On 1/9/12 4:36 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Andrew
>> McIntyre<mcintyre.a@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Hi Jean,
>>>
>>> We had been using this file to generate single-page HTML documentation
>>> for test and review during the DITA conversion since before the docs
>>> were contributed to Apache. I checked it in when I was moving the doc
>>> build machinery into Subversion. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't
>>> have checked it in, but when someone went to modify it is when we had
>>> the original discussion. There should at least be an entry for it in
>>> the doc-src NOTICES. I can remove the file if it's a problem though,
>>> as the file could be downloaded directly to the release builder's
>>> machine by Ant. Also, there are other, free options for converting
>>> PDFs to HTML files.
>>>
>>> - andrew
>> I think we should probably get rid of this file, and we should really
>> avoid using it altogether. Is there anyone who has the skill to
>> replace this file?
>>
>> Myrna
>>
> I ran a quick experiment: I removed fo2html.xsl and verified that I
> could build the frames html docs. Here are some solutions listed in
> declining order of effort:
>
> 1) Remove fo2html.xsl.
>
> + Easy.
> - We will lose the no-frames version of the html docs. I do use the
> no-frames version when citing doc passages in posts to derby-user.
> That is my only use for the no-frames version. Passage citations would
> be a little more cumbersome, but I could live with that.
>
> 2) Track down Nikolai Grigoriev and get him to open source this file
> under Apache 2.0.
>
> + Preserves the no-frames version of the docs.
> + Relatively low effort on our part.
> - Unbounded problem. We're not certain that we can track him down or
> that he would agree to use the Apache 2.0 license.
>
> 3) Replace fo2html.xsl with an xsl transformation which we write
> ourselves.
>
> + Preserves the no-frames version of the docs.
> - Probably outside the current skill sets of our current contributors.
>
> 4) Convert the docs to another source format.
>
> + Would be an opportunity to address our dissatisfactions with DITA,
> including its accessibility problems and our inability to generate a
> doc index.
> - Big effort.

Throwing in another option, for which I don't know how much effort is
required (to be honest, I don't even know if it will produce the
document we are pursuing here):
  5) Use DITA chunking, see [1].

  Based on my little experiment getting the Getting Started guide built
(as XHTML) with the newest version of the DITA toolkit, I suspect we
will have to address a few existing problems with our DITA sources. It
would be good to move up to the most recent version of DITA in any case,
but I don't know how much havoc that may create for the PDF versions of
the manuals.

Any DITA experts on the list that can shed some light on this option?

Regards,
--
Kristian

[1] http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/archspec/chunking.html