db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <jtander...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: Copyright clairification for fo2html.xsl in Derby software.
Date Sun, 08 Jan 2012 00:46:36 GMT
On 1/7/12 1:33 PM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  writes:
>
>> I believe that the following paragraph in the docs NOTICE file covers
>> these scripts. That is, this is the license which Dan is looking for:
>>
>> "The XSL stylesheets in the documentation source directory 'lib'
>> were originally developed by the DITA Open Toolkit project as part
>> of DITA-OT 1.1.2.1. These files are copyright 2004, 2005 IBM Corp.
>> and licensed under the Apache License Version 2.0. See DITA project
>> page at http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/"
>>
>> I have verified that the DITA toolkit is licensed under Apache 2.0
>> here: http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/license.html
> However, fo2html.xsl is not part of DITA-OT 1.1.2.1, as far as I can
> tell, so DITA's license probably doesn't cover that file.

I did some checking and that file has been in the subversion respository
since April 2005, added in revision 161353 with the log message "Add
single page HTML output to derby doc build." -- in other words, ever
since we started using DITA to build the docs, so I expect it to be in
all distributions starting with 10.1. I'll check with Andrew next week
to see if he remembers more of the story around this file. Or maybe one
of the other committers on this list who have tweaked this file can comment?

In the meantime, while we untangle the story to all our satisfaction,
anyone who further distributes the derby product should, of course,
follow the advice of their lawyer. If there's any concern about this
file, then one option would be to omit the single book HTML file from
your distribution -- perhaps just include the PDF file or link to the
single book HTML file on the apache site.

regards,

  -jean