db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Copyright clairification for fo2html.xsl in Derby software.
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 21:42:26 GMT
On 1/4/12 5:48 AM, Dobbins, Daniel M wrote:

> Derby-dev;
>
> I am evaluating the Apache Derby product with respect to the licensing
> requirements and there is one file (fo2html.xsl) in the Derby product
> that contains a Copyright as shown below.
>
> Email to the Author’s is undeliverable.
>
> <!-- =============================================================== -->
>
> <!-- -->
>
> <!-- Convert XSL FO (as in REC 2001-10-15) to HTML -->
>
> <!-- -->
>
> <!-- © RenderX 2000-2001 -->
>
> <!-- Permission to copy and modify is granted, provided this notice -->
>
> <!-- is included in all copies and/or derived work. -->
>
> <!-- -->
>
> <!-- Author: Nikolai Grigoriev, grig@renderx.com
> <mailto:grig@renderx.com> -->
>
> <!-- -->
>
> <!-- =============================================================== -->
>
> While this file gives permission to copy and modify it does not
> specifically address permission to distribute.
>
> Our desire would be to use and distribute the Apache Derby product
> without modification.
>
> Are you able to add any information as to the intent of the Copyright
> terms to allow for distribution as well as copy and modification?
>
> Thank you,
>
> */Dan Dobbins/***
>
> *817.**935.5431***
>
> */Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company /*
>
> /Software Product Manager/
>
> */Systems Software Engineering Environments – S/SEE/*
> daniel.m.dobbins@lmco.com <mailto:daniel.m.dobbins@lmco.com>

Hi Dan,

That xsl script is used to build Derby documentation. Typically, users
do not ship that build machinery with their Derby-powered products.
Instead, users just ship the compiled Derby jar files. I am fairly
certain that we have been complete about making sure that the source
code used to produce those jar files is covered by the liberal
redistribution terms of the Apache 2.0 license:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

What you pointed out, however, is troubling to me. Another sister script
in that same directory of build machinery (dita2fo-links.xsl) has even
more disturbing licensing terms: "(c) Copyright IBM Corp. 2004, 2005 All
Rights Reserved." This build machinery has been shipped with the Derby
source distributions since release 10.3.

At this point, I think that the Derby developers need to have a
conversation about why our source distributions have been carrying these
licensing terms since release 10.3.

Thanks for bringing this problem to our attention.
-Rick