db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Problem with a deadlock with Derby 10.8.1.2 and Glassfish V2.1.1
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 20:04:29 GMT
Nothing in the Derby log other than it logging a deadlock with the statements and a lock timeout
with its statements and it indicating that cleanup had started and completed.

I will enable tracing with the documented (undocumented system property).  Thanks for that
information!

I will check for the XA transactions the next time I reproduce this.

Maybe you could point me into the correct area to look.  This seems to be triggered either
through a lock timeout or a deadlock.   The connection that this is occurring through is an
XA connection.   I see the logging of this in the server log but I am trying to find out where
that would be logged from.   It seems after this occurs and because of the way connection
pool is being validated and recreated on error by Glassfish (configured to do so), it gets
into this state.  What I don't understand is why this type of error would cause the connection
to appear to be invalid and I am trying to work through both the Glassfish source and the
Derby source to find out.   The connection is correctly handling other errors such as a duplication
trying to be inserted and this does not trigger the connection to appear to be invalid.
 So I am trying to understand why a lock timeout or deadlock detection might do so.

This problem has only cropped up recently when they started performing multiple requests that
I know have a deadlock path through them.  I can fix that problem later but this is a system
level problem that I need to resolve.

I really do appreciate the help and guidance and am willing to try to work though this.
I have to figure this out and either patch Glassfish or Derby in any case as my customer (think
very very large wireless carrier) is getting pretty PO'ed.