db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: need theories about errors seen in the jdk 1.4 test runs
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:58:35 GMT
On 11/15/2011 6:07 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Thanks for that explanation, Knut. This then is the first casualty of
> our decision to stop supporting JDK 1.4 in Derby 10.9. This appears to
> be the state of
> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbcapi.ProcedureTest:
>
> a) It never ran on supported small devices.
>
> b) It raises an error now on the unsupported JDK 1.4 platform.
>
> c) It runs cleanly on the supported Java 5, 6, and 7 platforms.
>
> Here are some options for handling this noise:
>
> 1) Change the constructor to use a String argument rather than a
> numeric. That should compile to a form which will run on JDK
> 1.4--although some other discrepancy may be lurking behind this one.
>
> 2) Adjust the build script so that we compile this class using
> compile.classpath rather than java15compile.classpath. For extra
> credit, we could also use compile.classpath for other classes in that
> package which we expect to run on small devices.
>
> 3) Remove the whole test from runs on JDK 1.4. File a JIRA to fix the
> test so that it runs on small platforms. This would involve some form
> of (2).

Since jdk 1.4.2  won't be supported for 10.9 ,  there could be 4) Remove
runs of jdk 1.4 from trunk and  add some sort of CDC Foundation 1.1
runs. This might be the best long term solution.  Are the trunk 1.4.2
runs currently in place to help pop issues on small devices?  Eventually
I guess they will really break and for good reason.