db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject jdbc minor version reported when running Derby on Java 6
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2011 16:01:44 GMT
I'm winding down the work on the remaining bits of JDBC 4.1. I am
testing a patch which changes the JDBC level reported by Derby's
drivers. See derby-5488-09-aa-jdbcMinorVersion.diff patch attached to
DERBY-5488.

After checking in this patch, Derby will report that its JDBC level is
4.1 if you are running on Java 6 or 7. If you are running on Java 5 or
1.4, the level will continue to be 3.0.

We could also report that the JDBC level is 4.0 on Java 6. However, I
lean toward reporting 4.1 as the level on that platform. That is because
you can still call the new 4.1 methods via reflection when running on
Java 6.

I'm not adamant about this choice, however. Please speak up now if you
feel strongly that 4.0 is a better choice when running on Java 6. If you
are not sure what you think about this topic, please air your
uncertainty now. I would like to reach consensus sooner rather than
later. Please don't defer this discussion until we're in the middle of
vetting a 10.9 RC next spring.

Thanks,
-Rick