db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Mixed jar versions
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:29:51 GMT
I promised some time ago to get back to the list regarding user input on
mixed jar version support in the same class-loader context from
consumers that have required this in the past.

The ones that I talked to are willing to give that up starting with
10.9.   I think starting with 10.9 we should no longer support mixed
jars in the same classloader context and document that isolated
classloaders are required for mixed version jars  in the same JVM. Tasks
in doing that I think would be:
1) Inform derby-user and see if there are any objections there.
2) DERBY-4689 - Provide a JUnit test option to isolate client from
server jars.
      This will allow us to conduct mixed version protoocol testing
which is still important.
3) Put a blurb in the documentation about this.

Can anyone think of anything else or have any objections?  I think still
this would not let us freely share code because of potential sealing
violations, but I am not sure of the issues there.

Thanks

Kathey