db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: building with JDK 7
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:00:45 GMT
Kristian Waagan <kristian.waagan@oracle.com> writes:

> On 17.10.11 21:37, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>> Yes, if you only have JDK 7, we should build a java17compile.classpath,
>> and then construct java16compile.classpath based on JDK 7 and JDBC 4.0
>> stubs. Something like this:
>>
>>    ${out.jdbc4.dir}:${java17compile.classpath}
>
> Do we really need the stubs in this case?
> I thought they were added to be able to build JDBC 4.0 support with a
> JDK 1.5 compiler.
> Are there any advantages of including the stubs anyway, even if they
> are not strictly required?

You're right, we shouldn't need the stubs since we implemented the new
JDBC 4.1 methods in the same classes where we implemented the JDBC 4.0
methods. Compilation of the JDBC 4.0 classes against the JDBC 4.1
interfaces should therefore not fail.

>> PropertySetter lacks that piece of logic right now.
>>

> That last piece has to be done in build.xml, but it is correct that
> PropertySetter doesn't even consider JDK 1.7 as a candidate JDK.
>
> I guess we may also want to ditch the compile classpath variable for
> JDK 1.4 now?

Yes, except that it's better to base jsr169compile.classpath on JDK 1.4
than one of the newer versions.

--
Knut Anders