db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10.8.2.2 coming up
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:07:06 GMT
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Kristian Waagan
<kristian.waagan@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 08.10.11 03:31, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Kristian Waagan
>> <kristian.waagan@oracle.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Den 07.10.2011 00:36, skrev Myrna van Lunteren:
>
> < snip >

>>> Hi  Myrna,
>>>
>>> I'm working on DERBY-5447, which is a Java deadlock involving the
>>> automatic
>>> index statistics daemon. It causes two threads to hang indefinitely.
>>> I have two patches, one ran for 1099 iterations of the hanging test suite
>>> without hitting the problem, the other is currently at 879 iterations
>>> (each
>>> iteration takes 60 - 90 seconds). Without the fix(es) the test ususally
>>> hangs after 9 to 30 iterations.
>>>
>>> The good news is that the second patch is an isolated change to the istat
>>> daemon itself, instead of modifying the core code in
>>> BasePage.releaseExclusive. I wouldn't be afraid to port this to 10.8
>>> immediately after the fix goes into trunk.
>>>
>>> I don't want you to hold back the release because of this issue (as
>>> several
>>> factors have to come into play to trigger it), but it would be good to
>>> know
>>> when you plan to produce the next release candidate.
>>>

>>> Regards, and thank you for your continued efforts for a solid 10.8.2,
>>> --
>>> Kristian

>> I really wanted to make a release candidate on Monday, but I think
>> it's not useful while we're analyzing various error conditions after
>> Rick's backing out work for DERBY-5448.
>> So, at this point, I don't think I'll make a release candidate on
>> Monday. Let's see where we are at the end of Monday.
>
> Ok.
> In any case, I backported DERBY-5447 to 10.8 with revision 1180811.
>

> --
> Kristian
>

>> Myrna

Thank you all for your feedback.

It seems to me that apart from another deadlock situation which Rick
and Mike suspect is pre-existing 10.8.2 and a worrying but likely
unreproducible error (DERBY-5450) there is nothing more to be done for
this release.

I'll spin a release candidate now.

Myrna